Saturday, January 16, 2010

Leave the price tag on...


A lot of really amusing and funny things happen in our day to day lives and I really wish I could capture them in some form. Maybe this blog would do justice...

Today my wife bought me an amazing gift. It was a North Face Backpack. Since the time I decided that I am going to climb Mount Whitney, the tallest peak in continental USA, I have been looking out for deals in hiking gear - Sleeping bags, backpacks etc. And the branded names on these stuff cost the earth.

It is our anniversary next month and so she gave me a sexy backpack, something just like what I wanted, as a gift. It was green and grey, big enough to hold stuff that would enable me to survive the backcountry for a couple of days and nights and... It had the price tag still on. That was a surprise all right. It was really uncharacteristic of her. She usually goes to any length to shield that information from me.

'This is cool. Seems like it did not cost much...how come?' I asked.

'It was on sale. And on top of that, there was a 15% student discount on it. I went with a friend of mine and he had a student id,' she replied triumphantly.

'Wow! That is awesome.' I could not stop grinning.

After I had poured over all the details of the bag and finished admiring myself in the mirror wearing it, I checked all the websites selling this particular model and was thrilled to find out that they were at least 200 dollars costlier than what she had bought it for. The same model with the same specifications with the same colour!

So I spent the next 30 minutes gloating over the fact that it was such a good deal and what a wonderful decision she had made. Slowly I realised that I loved the bag not just for the fact that it was an amazing piece of work and it fit my need perfectly well, but also for the fact that it was bought so cheaply. Perhaps more so for the latter reason than the former.

'Now do you know why I left the price tag on?' she asked sarcastically. What could I say. She knew me too well.

So for all you girls who qualify as wives out there...take my advice. There are two things that a guy loves - Cool gadgets and a wife who saves money. Be smart, make the right purchase and....

Leave the price tag on!!!